We are now please to be offering genetic testing to our patients. There are two test available and they will help determine what vitamins are going to be beneficial for the prevention of Macular Degeneration (AMD). For people with Macular Degeneration, or a strong family history of it, the tests will also help predict the chance of someone developing vision issues or loss.
What is AMD?
Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) is the leading cause of irreversible vision loss and blindness in older adults in the developed world. AMD is a progressive late onset disease of the macula, which is made up of millions of light-sensing cells that provide sharp, central vision. In its early and intermediate forms, the disease presents as small deposits on the retina comprised of cholesterol and complement (inflammatory) proteins and/or pigmentation changes in the retina. Over 90% of individuals who live through their 70s and into their 80s will have these changes in their retina. Approximately 20% of those who develop the early and intermediate form will progress to advanced disease with vision loss as they age. With the presence of advanced stage disease, the center field of view may appear blurry, distorted, or dark. The advanced form may be dry geographic atrophy (30% of advanced disease) or wet choroidal neovascularization (70% of advanced disease).
What Causes AMD
Confirmed risk factors for advanced disease include age, smoking, BMI and family history. Genetic inheritance explains as much as 71% of the cause of AMD and this inheritance includes at least 12 genes that are associated with AMD progression. These genes are involved with complement immunity and inflammation, oxygen metabolism, cholesterol metabolism and genes involved in the stability of blood vessels and other tissues.
Only about 15% to 20% of people with early or intermediate Dry AMD will progress to advanced AMD with vision loss. The progression of AMD is difficult to predict in any given patient because there are a number of factors that contribute to the risk of development and progression of this disease. Some risk factors can be changed, such as diet, smoking habits and body mass index (BMI). Other factors are fixed, such as age, gender, and family history (genotype).
Early Detection Can Save Vision
Vision can be saved if AMD is detected at an early stage. However, most people don’t know they are at an increased risk and don’t go to an eye care professional until the symptoms worsen and disease is advanced in one eye. It is then is too late to save the first eye other than perhaps preventing further progression through treatment with VEGF inhibitor injections. The most important effort is then directed towards saving the second eye.
Patients with the highest risk will progress approximately 12 years earlier and they should be monitored much more frequently to catch the disease as early as possible .
Our Eye Care Products
- Offers immediate comfort (no stinging upon application), moisturizes and protects your eyes from dryness and irritation for a long time.
- Is preservative free and usually very well tolerated.Is phosphate free, avoiding complications like deposits on the cornea.
- Is emulgator free and lipid free, nonetheless stabilizes the lipid layer of the tear film and protects the eyes against the excessive evaporation of tears
- Relieves itching and burning caused by inflammation and allergies.
- Offers STRONG and long lasting dry eye relief.
- Provides intensive lubrication of the surface of the eye.
- Is preservative free and are usually very well tolerated.
- Is phosphate free, avoiding complications like deposits in the cornea.
CALMO™ Eye Spray
- Offers immediate comfort and humidification of dry eyes and stabilizes the lipid layer of the tear film when sprayed on the closed eye.
- Is preservative free and usually very well tolerated.
- Contains liposomes and dexpanthenol (pro-vitamin B5), which moisturize the eye area and provide preventative protection for the skin.
HYLO Lubricating Eye Drops
HYLO Lubricating Eye Drops are a proven solution for dry and irritated eyes, containing a high percentage of hyaluronic acid that sticks to the eye surface, guaranteeing moistening. The solution is well tolerated since it is preservative-free. It is also citrate-buffered and entirely phosphate-free, making it safe for users of all types of contact lenses.
HYLO Lubricating Eye Drops
- Offers immediate comfort (no stinging upon application) and protects your eyes from dryness and irritation for a long time.
- Is preservative free and usually very well tolerated.Is phosphate free, avoiding complications like deposits in the cornea.
MacuHealth with LMZ3 is a trademarked natural eye health supplement consisting of the three primary protective pigments found in the macula. Taking this one small, easy-to-swallow soft gel once a day has been clinically proven to restore macular pigments to normal levels for enhanced vision and help in the prevention of age-related macular degeneration.
Recent studies have proven that Meso-Zeaxanthin, if taken in a supplement such as MacuHealth with LMZ3, effectively increases macular pigment levels and, in some cases, even restores macular pigment to normal levels.
Fish oil can be obtained from eating fish or by taking supplements. In adults, omega-3 fatty acids protect their eyes from macular (related to macula of the eye) degeneration and avoid dryness. Taking these carotenoids regularly has been shown to help restore macular pigments to normal levels. We carry Ascenta Professional Omega 3 in both capsules and liquid.